ProductiveMuslim.com in association with Ahlan Art is proud to present “The Productive Muslim International Photography Competition”. This creative initiative aims to utilize the art of photography to, not only inspire, educate and enlighten global viewers, but also challenge the stereotypical image of Muslims in the media.
The online competition platform enables photographers to share their photo-journalistic and fine art photography work, whilst spreading positive imagery of both Islam and Muslims as productive citizens of the world.
Selected finalists of the photography competition will have their photographs printed on Fine Art Gallery Paper and showcased during the Muslim Lifestyle Show in London Olympia on 30th April – 1st May 2016, and have the chance to win various prizes.
This is a unique opportunity for participants to be exhibited side by side with world renowned artists. The competition is open to all; professional or non-professional photographers.
Why are we holding this competition?
Productive Muslim and Ahlan Art are dedicated to sharing the beauty of Islam with the world through art, design and photography, as well as, corporate social responsibility initiatives. The collaboration aims to build awareness and discussion regarding Muslims’ contribution in today’s modern/integrated society. The competition and resulting exhibition act as a platform to portray the fusion of Islam, Islamic Art and culture with the rest of the world. It is a resource for teaching global consciousness, historical literacy, and multicultural appreciation.
The project facilitates multi-cultural and interfaith dialogue to promote understanding, thus reducing religious, cultural, and racial bigotry. It aims to advance the global public religious and civic discussions in order to provide a better atmosphere for working together and living in peace and unity.
Our Art Partners: Ahlan Art
Ahlan Art is an internationally recognized gallery that works with over 40 established artists from across the world, showcasing a range of modern, contemporary and classical art. Ahlan Art works very closely with artists to build their personal profiles and to create a new narrative for Islamic Art.
With over twenty exhibitions to date, Ahlan Art has become the go-to place for Islamic Art. Some of their prominent exhibitions have included a Ramadan exhibition at the foot of the Burj Khalifa Dubai, the Family Office Forum, as well as, a solo show in Knightsbridge, London.
- By entering the The Productive Muslim International Photography Competition, entrants agree to (a) be bound by these rules; and (b) know that the decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- By entering the competition, the entrant acknowledges that the photo submission is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
- Ahlan Art reserves the right to disqualify any individual(s), verify the validity and originality of any entry and/or entrant (including an entrant’s identity and address) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these rules or is offensive in any way.
- Ahlan Art has the right to suspend the competition, and will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs if so.
- Ahlan Art retains the right to publish the competition entries to congratulate the winners and to promote future events. Entries may be published by Ahlan Art and/or affiliates (the “authorized parties”) in any medium, at authorized parties’ discretion. By participating, all entrants grant a license in the entries to the authorized parties, and acknowledge that entry may be used in any media at any time, worldwide for the purpose of promoting, marketing and crowdfunding the competition.
1.Only photos submitted by email to email@example.com will be considered.
2. Only photos falling under the theme of ‘The Productive Muslim’ will be considered.
3. Only digital photos submitted as JPG or JPEG of high quality will be considered.
4. Photos with graphic designs, logos or frames will not be accepted.
5. All photos entered into the competition must be original works created solely by the entrant, and must not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
6. All photos must include the following information in the email:
– Name [first, last]
– Contact telephone number [incl. country code]
– Email address
– Location [place, city, country]
– Date [dd/mm/yyyy]
– Title [name of your photo]
– Dimensions [centimeters]
– Description: The idea / story of your image and relevance to the theme [min. 150 words]
7. Photos that do not follow the above submission requirements will not be accepted.
8. No more than 3 photographs will be accepted per participant.
9. Photos that have been obviously manipulated, enhanced, retouched beyond normal practice will not be considered for acceptance.
10. Photos that have been previously submitted for competitions will not be considered for acceptance.
11. Any posts, comments, or photo submissions that are offensive, defamatory, obscene, indecent, unlawful or refer to politics in any way will be immediately deleted. We will also not tolerate hateful comments or abuse pertaining to any religion, sect, minority or ethnic group.
- Productive Muslim and Ahlan Art will host an exhibition for selected finalists during the Muslim Lifestyle Show on 30th April – 1st May 2016.
- All winners will have their winning photograph and names published on the competition website and in affiliated media.
- The top 20 finalists will be crowd-voted on Facebook within 7 days of the close of the competition. Stay tuned to Ahlan Art’s Facebook page for announcements.
- Finalists will be notified by email and public announcement on the website and social media platforms with further details and information in preparation for the exhibition.
The finalists will be selected by an international panel of experts including award-winning photographers Peter Sanders, Peter Gould & Lisa Vogl. Decisions of the jury are final and binding.
Peter Sanders is the world’s preeminent photographer of the Muslim World. For more than 45 years, he has captured over half a million images reflecting a rich traditional civilization filled with warmth, humanity and compassion.
Sanders has held photographic workshops across the globe and held exhibitions ranging from places as varied as Jerusalem and Stockholm to Timbuktu and Los Angeles. In the process, he has created the most comprehensive library of images of Islam; a library that is continually expanding.
Peter Gould’s photography is as much about the spiritual as it is about the visual, offering no questions or answers but rather affording the viewer to simply being in that moment, and that moment at first glance seems to curiously exist without time or consequence.
Gould’s unique artwork and photography are found in the collections of diverse audiences including a Prime Minister, Middle Eastern royalty and has been exhibited in galleries around the world over the past decade. He has won several awards and through his work and artistic projects, Gould aims to inspire and promote understanding, positivity and creative thinking in the global community.
Lisa Vogl is an award-winning international wedding and fashion photographer. Past and current clientele include Maher Zain, Native Deen, Azizah Magazine, Aquila Style Magazine and Islamic Relief. Lisa has recently launched a modest fashion label, Verona Collection, which has gained recognition internationally as the first affordable modest fashion line.
Vogl’s relation with Islam strengthened through going after her dream of traveling and being a photographer. Today, she is internationally recognized and sought after for her work.
- First Prize: iPad Pro
- Second Prize: Android/Apple Watch
- Third Prize: Fitbit Watch
Deadline & Dates
- Competition Launch Date: 15th March 2016 (12 PM GMT)
- Deadline for Final Submissions: 15th April (12PM GMT)
- Judging Period: 15th April – 21th April 2016
- Exhibition at The Muslim Lifestyle Show: 30th April – 1st May 2016