The best of sadaqah is given during the month of Ramadan. Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: “The Prophet was the most generous person, and he used to become more so (generous) particularly in the month of Ramadan…more generous than the fast wind in doing good” [Bukhari].
Types of Sadaqah:
- Sadaqah– A voluntary giving. Any form of charity such as a simple smile, forgiveness, or monetary amount given at will.“Your smile to your brother is a sadaqah (charitable act) for you. Your commanding the right and forbidding the wrong is a sadaqah. Your guiding a man in the land of misguidance is a sadaqah for you. Your seeing (showing the way) for a man with bad eyesight is a sadaqah for you. Your removing a stone or thorn or bone from the road is a sadaqah for you. Your emptying your bucket of water into your brother’s (empty) bucket is a sadaqahfor you” [Tirmidhi].“Take sadaqah (alms) from their wealth in order to purify them and sanctify them with it, and invoke Allah for them. Verily! Your invocations are a source of security for them; and Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower” [9:103].
- Sadaqah jariyah – Ongoing charity as defined by the following hadith:The Prophet said: “When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things: sadaqah jariyah (such as a well of clean water, masjid, hospital, Islamic charitable organization, etc.), knowledge which is beneficial, or a virtuous descendant who prays for him (the deceased)” [Muslim].
Creative Ramadan Sadaqah Programs and Ideas
The 4th Annual Ramadan Qur’an-a-Thon Sadaqah Drive
The Annual Ramadan Qur’an-a-thon Sadaqah Drive is a worldwide program for Muslim kids up to the age of 18 years. It was created to help young Muslims appreciate and live more closely to the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad by:
- Learning more ayatof the Qur’an.The Prophet said, “Whoever reads one letter of the book of Allah will be rewarded for it with a good reward, and this good reward will be increased tenfold” [Tirmidhi].
- Understanding and appreciating the act of earning money.”And He is Allah (to be worshipped Alone) in the heavens and on the earth; He knows what you conceal and what you reveal, and He knows what you earn (good or bad)” [6:3].
- Allowing children to gain a sense of pride by making sadaqah to the needy.”And of them are some who made a covenant with Allah (saying): “If He bestowed on us of His Bounty, we will verily give sadaqah (Zakat and voluntary charity in Allah’s Cause) and will be certainly among those who are righteous” [9:75].
- Completing these generous acts in the name of Allah during our blessed month of Ramadan when our rewards are multiplied by the number only Allah knows and wills.The Prophet said: “Whoever draws near to Allah during it (Ramadan) with a single characteristic from the characteristics of (voluntary) goodness, he is like whoever performs an obligatory act in other times. And whoever performs an obligatory act during it, he is like whoever performed seventy obligatory acts in other times” [Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah].
30 Sadaqah Surprises
Make an intention this Ramadan to donate a set number of Dollars each day, or even just a single dollar–whatever you are able–and give, give, give. Give one, five, ten Dollars a day and you’ll be earning the rewards of Allah whilst fasting in the month of Ramadan, Insha’Allah.
This way, we are giving consistently – though it’s a small amount – and can try our best to continue giving throughout the year.
The Messenger of Allah said: “The most beloved deeds to Allah, The Exalted, are the most consistent, even if they are small” [Bukhari and Muslim].
Ramadan Cleaning as a Game of Giving
Undergo a transformational cleansing of your house with your entire family from the inside-out. Create a “Game of Giving” with your kids. Evaluate and distribute lightly used items into three categories:
- reduce, reuse, recycle (things which can be effectively turned into Eid gifts, cards, crafts, etc.)
Aim to drive to your local masjid or Islamic academy on the 27th of Ramadan with your donations. They willingly accept clothes, housewares, books, teaching aides, electronics, etc. Remember this tip when determining whether to keep or give something away. If it’s still usable but not being used, it’s time to pass it on.
Playing the “Game of Giving” makes house cleaning with your kids a lot of fun and is truly rejuvenating! Undoubtedly, you will end up with a clutter-free, sparkling home just in time for Eid celebrations.
The Sadaqah of Time
Rather than choosing solitude and laziness, opt to volunteer more during Ramadan for the extra hasanat. Volunteering our time is a highly beneficial use of our time, especially with long fasting summer hours.
You can join formal volunteer programs such as cooking for a masjid iftar, organizing Eid celebrations for the kids, organizing a Qur’an competition, etc. However, volunteering does not have to be limited to Islamic topics just because it’s Ramadan. Any volunteer efforts you presently offer in your daily life should be continued; as long as you are doing it for the sake and pleasure of Allah .
For example, volunteering at your children’s public school or summer program during this month is crucial, because oftentimes classmates are curious why your children may not be eating or participating in gym classes. If you need some examples, check out these 79 Creative ways to volunteer at a public school for ideas.
Think of your hobbies and favorite nonprofit organizations. Do you love your area public library? Offer to tutor or restock books. Love horses? Find a local horse rescue and muck stalls. Experiencing a natural disaster in your area? Find ways to clean up and distribute aid.
Regardless how and where you volunteer, if our intentions are focused on pleasing Allah , we can all benefit from this form of sadaqah, Insha’Allah.
About the Author:
This is an excerpt from Ponn Sabra’s newest book, The Ultimate Guide to Ramadan for the Muslim Mom. For these last 5 days of Ramadan, save 70% when you buy it using the coupon code: 3FF8F98D. Ponn is a devout Muslim, wife, and homeschool mom of 3 girls. A best-selling author and internet marketer, Ponn founded AmericanMuslimMom – the 1st and #1 ranked online blog network for Muslim Moms in the world. Ponn shares her love for online entrepreneurship with her kidpreneurs, as they share their experiences and tips at Kid Bloggers Club. Check out her FREE ebook, “Balancing Life as a Muslim Mom“. In addition to launching her ebook on the first day of Ramadan, she also launched the 2nd Edition of this free ebook; as well as a third–Ponn is truly a Productive Muslim Mom! If you haven’t downloaded her free ebook yet, login today!